Friday, June 25, 2010

Group Play Round-Up and Bring on the Knockout!

So, in case you're wondering how I fared with my picks, the answer is not very well. I correctly picked the outcome of 23 out of 48 group play matches. Group F really did me in. I only picked one match correctly. I gave Italy way too much credit and Paraguay way too little . Groups D and A were also brutal. I underrated Mexico and Germany and paid for it.

On the upside, I picked 12 out of the 16 teams in the knockout round. I didn't get the right order of finish, but I don't mind being wrong there, particularly in the case of the US winning its group.

As for the round of 16, I'm very excited. Obviously, I'm on the edge of my seat about the US-Ghana game. It should actually be a really good match up. I

Here are some quick thoughts and picks for the Round of 16 games:

Uruguay v South Korea: South Korea showed they can pick the lock on tough defenses. But Uruguay has defended really well as a team won their group in decisive fashion. The difference maker here I think is Uruguay's offensive machine Diego Forlan. I think he gets it done. Pick: Uruguay

USA v Ghana: This will be a good test of the US defense. I'd like to see us clear our lines convincingly and show forward movement and control in the middle of the park. Ghana plays pretty compact D and has real speed on the wing, but they can get disorganized at times, and the burden will be on our big game players not to let those chances get away. Pick: USA

Germany v England: Well... Germany isn't as bad as I thought they were before the tournament, but this is still a really inconsistent team. But not as inconsistent as England. I don't see Rooney getting enough of the ball for them to be a threat. Pick: Germany

Argentina v Mexico: As much as I dislike Mexico, I think they are a squad with a lot of potential... potential for kissing my ass after they lose HAHAHAHA! Pick: Argentina

Netherlands v Slovakia: Good for you, Slovakia, making it this far. Now, pack your bags. Pick: Netherlands

Brazil v Chile: Chile plays tough, but I don't think it will be enough. Brazil started shaky but they're starting to his their stride. Pick: Brazil

Paraguay v Japan: Upstart against upstart. Japan has really gone after it this tournament and scored some great goals. Can't bet against them in this game. Pick: Japan

Spain v Portugal: The Iberian showdown. Interesting these teams would meet so early in the tournament because this is one of those games where some really great players are definitely not advancing. I think the difference here is defense. Spain has it and Portugal doesn't. Ronaldo and company will need to be aggressive in pressuring the ball. They'll also need to be perfect in dead ball situations to get chances because they won't be getting in behind Puyol and Pique like they did with North Korea. Pick: Spain

One more thing: U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

No comments: